What are Synthetic Oils?
Types of Engine Oil
There are two basic types of engine oil available:
- Conventional mineral oils are the traditional types of engine oil and are still most widely used.
- Synthetic engine oils which are steadily growing in popularity.
Synthetic oils have been developed specifically to cope with extreme conditions found within modern engines. They are much more free-flowing than traditional mineral oils. The biggest benefit is greatly increases engine protection. When an engine is first started, a mineral oil takes some time to circulate, allowing friction between unlubricated parts to cause wear. In contrast, a synthetic lubricant starts circulating faster, reducing friction, and protecting moving parts within the engine.
Synthetic engine oils can also significantly improve fuel economy and reduce oil consumption. During the warm-up period of a typical car journey, mineral oils are thicker and move slower, making the engine thirstier and less efficient. Because synthetics get to work much quicker, the engine reaches peak operating efficiency that much sooner and reduces oil consumption.
Another advantage of synthetics in the synthetic oils vs mineral oils debate is that they're cleaner and more environmentally friendly - helping to cut engine emissions when compared to conventional mineral oils. Conventional mineral oils also contain greater amounts of impurities, such as sulphur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.
- Outstanding protection
- Minimizing oil degradation
- Faster lubrication at start-up in low temperatures
- Excellent protection at high temperatures
- Exceptional resistance to thermal breakdown
- Engine cleanliness
- Outstanding protection against harmful deposits
- Cleaner running engines
- Engine efficiency
- Greater resistance to oil oxidation (thickening), which reduces engine drag
- Lower oil consumption under high-speed conditions
- More efficient engine operation over a wider temperature range
- Reduces friction and protects moving parts within the engine
- Prevents rust
Mobil 1™ performance record
Mobil 1™ is engineered to keep your engine protected and performing under the most demanding conditions. Scroll through some tests that corroborate our claims, helping you understand why we say that you can get outstanding engine performance with Mobil 1™.Learn more